Tuesday, March 15, 2016

March 15, 2106 dVerse/ Hands to Hold and Hands to Let Go

Hands to Hold and Hands to Let Go

i look at my hands       they are my mother's                 my grandmother's

and possibly                 my greatgrandmother's              my ancestor's hands

my mother taught me    to use them                                to care for them

with these hands          we crawled out of the trees          gathered food

rocked the cradle          washed and bathed                       prepared food

mended the wounds      made things                                  played instruments

before we could speak    we made gestures                       we made love

we learned to count        hold what is precious                  learned to let go

                                                             and with our fingertips we remember

March 15, 2016



3 comments:

brudberg said...

So much is created over generations... I love the thought of the final stanza.. the fingertips are the most sensitive.

Blogoratti said...

Hands tell a lot of story if you know what to look for. I enjoyed reading this and warm greetings to you Annelle.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

WOW! This is stunning! I love the listing of all the things the hands do, the gathering, the letting go, and then the killer line - with our fingertips we remember........powerful! One of my faves of yours.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...