Thursday, September 11, 2014

August 11, 2014 Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads/The Better Lie

Prompt:  Lie You Could have Told Better

The Better Lie
OK you asked
Yes it was a lie
Or at least the truth softened
I didn’t want to say
I didn’t want to meet with you because
‘You can’t paint’
So I tried to soften it a bit
And I said we are at different levels
I don’t want to go to great effort
To meet with people who are behind me

Of course it is just my opinion
Just because you have a brush
Some paint
A canvas
Does not mean you can paint
Or can call yourself an artist

You have to do the work first
Let it stand on its’ own
Before you can claim that title
Still you said you wished I had said
‘The drive was too far’
If only I knew I could have told a better lie

I could have said ‘I died’ or
I was going to be sick on the day we were scheduled to meet
I couldn’t find my keys
My car wouldn’t start on that day
Any number of big fat lies
Could have been better than the lie I told

To lie is not an art I have cultivated
I would only lie to save your feelings
Save your face
Save your life
Otherwise when you hear me speak
It will be the truth

August 11, 2014

Note:  Sometimes the truth is just too hard to say.

Andy Warhol said it best when he quipped: “Donʼt think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if itʼs good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”




3 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, there are times when lying to spare feelings is taking the high road .. a road I've traveled many times.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the Warhol quote! I hear the person saying "I wish you'd said the drive is too far". I love your closing lines.

Isadora Gruye said...

this piece raises many questions we face daily. Thanks for posting to the out of standard.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...