Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August 12, 2014 Imaginary Gardens with Real Toads/The Life of a Lonely Hermit

The Life of a Lonely Hermit

I walked along the seashore
Looked for shells
In the shape of a heart
I never found one

In the desert
Alone
Lonely
I dream of you
I knew you not

You went away
Left home and hearth
The heart of Peter Pan
Beat in your breast
I knew you not

Dressed in black satin
I sit on a bench
Church bells toll the hour
The plaza is crowded
I see them
They look at me

August 12, 2014




5 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is a beautiful piece, Annell. Stark as the lonely lifestyle, yet with the serenity of seashore, desert, and church.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I so resonate with this poem....I live like a hermit much of the time........I look for heart rocks too. In Tofino I found them everywhere, now never. Sigh. Your poem expresses the distance one feels inwardly from the rest of the world when going through great pain. Yet there is a peacefulness in maintaining that distance. You have captured it so well.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

oh my goodness I just heard the start of a thunderstorm. How wonderful!!!! Yesterday the heat was so extreme and the air so close, it will be a relief. I hope it is followed by rain.

Brian Miller said...

whole lot of emotion in the undercurrent of this....the feeling of not knowing them too...when paired with the loss...its def heavy..

Anonymous said...

he spoke more quickly than other hermits, didn't he? you speak well for us, too ~

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...