Sunday, July 29, 2012

July 29, 2012 Finding Balance in Our Work

Two Sides of the Coin
Finding Balance in Our Work


Fragments III #123  22"x22" gouache on watercolor paper

I have chosen to share two paintings, which represent the "two sides of the coin."  The first is from my current series of work, Fragments III, based on collage; flat color, hard edge, sharply in focus, and I have added a grid of red dots.  I think the dots are like nails which hold the pieces of composition down, so they are on the same plane.  Fragments represent the idea that we experience our lives as fragments, or bits and pieces, nothing really whole.  Our thoughts and memory are past and present, and we take these pieces and make a whole of our life experiences, just like making a quilt.  It is a controlled piece and requires careful painting, but the viewer might question where is the emotion?



Words and Marks #104  Forgotten Moments  44"x29"  mixed media on paper

The emotion is in this piece, Forgotten Moments.  This is an expressive piece, in which I can use my writing.  It is based on a piece I wrote;

Forgotten Moments
I fall to my knees
 Examine the ground before me
Try to remember
The language written there
Breath the air
Count the clouds

I am ignorant
I have forgotten
The meaning of traces
The earth rotates
Days, months, years
Pass without notice
I question the moment
Past, present
Or simply eternity

A drawer opens
A housewife's collection revealed
Forgotten moments

Notes on crumpled paper -- a phone number
Coins --a nickel, a dime, some pennies
A pencil with broken point
A receipe for pecan pie
Three rubber bands
Bits of string
Tiny red ball
Some jacks
Receipts
Stamps
Keys

Odds and ends
Hurried put away
Over time forgotten
Days, months, years
Past, present
Or simply eternity

A lemon rind of time
Past or present
Spurn responsibility
Add -- subtract
Days, months, years
This moment is all there is

I think we are all "two sides of the coin"  and we must search for ways to express it all.  To find the balance.




No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...