Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thursday August 27, 2010 Magpie 29

36

Yes I lived there,
House of love,
House of safety,

It was such a long time,
A life time,
Sunlight streamed through
The windows onto the brick floor,
In the kitchen.

Dappled light in the dinning room,
Tap, tap of brick floors,
Flowed onto hard wood floors,
Of the living room.

Stenciling in the entry,
Lead into the large family room
With the hand carved mantle.
It was the center of the house,
The fire burned brightly.

Through the leaded glass door,
One glimpsed the sleeping quarters.
I can still hear the ticking
Of the clock in the hall.
The time for me would end.

And I passed the keys to another,
Still I hold it in my memory,
Though I will never return.
I will always know it,
It is a part of me.

"...Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders." --William Faulkner

(I borrowed this quote from Kate Beck post. http://katebeckstudio.blogspot.com/)

24 comments:

christine said...

What wonderful memories, it sounded idylic there in that cottage.

Tess Kincaid said...

Lovely memories, Annell! I like how you used the ticking of the clock to signal the ending of time in that house.

Pan said...

I enjoyed this tale. :-)

Arian Tejano said...

the sense of familiarity will always be kept by our hearts

Anonymous said...

I love the sense of floating through the rooms - I wanted to reach and feel the texture of the stenciled entrance. Even if you did return it would be so different - better for you to keep it with you as was.

Berowne said...

I too remember a home left behind. Thanks for the memory.

signed...bkm said...

Passing our memories over to someone else is never easy - especially when they are filled with love and happiness....nicely done...bkm

Stafford Ray said...

'And I passed the keys to another' What an evocative line for anyone who loved a home but had to leave. That house was a home!

Elizabeth said...

I love the poem, the vivid details, the sense of belonging that seeps through the words, and the love of place you evoke. I also dearly love that quote and have used it myself, now all I have to do is remember where and when, lol.

Elizabeth

Paul C said...

Dappled light in the dinning room,
Tap, tap of brick floors,...rich sensory appeal conveyed.

Dianne said...

This is really pretty... I love your sense of place... and the bittersweet of the moving on...

Tumblewords: said...

So vivid and lovely - the imagery spills and encapsulates the reader. Wonderful.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

This is so lovely, I especially like these words:

Yes I lived there,
House of love,
House of safety,

Sue J said...

Lovely memories.

Brian Miller said...

excellent magpie...i feel that way about my grandmothers old house and your description is pretty much spot on for it too...nice mag!

Unknown said...

such a pretty description of a home!

Martin said...

This was written with real feeling. Very nice.

Carrie Van Horn said...

Annell, this is a beautiful poem that we all can relate to...Wonderful writing! :-)

Linda said...

Very nice. I can imagine those feelings. Will probably experience them for myself one day.

SandyCarlson said...

Gorgeous. This kicks up many memories for me of my grandmother's beautiful home.

Lydia said...

This was quite a descriptive tour of the cottage. I stopped awhile at the "center of the house" and admired the "hand-carved mantle."

Kathe W. said...

perfect description of my childhood home and how I felt when my parents "passed the keys to
another" Lovely poem

ninotaziz said...

Lovely.

Diane said...

You write beautifully... ... we left our home also... but the new experiences and friends have been worth it.

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...