Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Rejections as a Part of the Art Process and How the Artist Handles it


This morning I was talking to Katherine Treffinger about rejection as a part of the process. And she wrote to me--" In 'On Writing' Stephen King said that he put a 10 penny nail in his office and put his rejection notices on the nail as he received them. The nail was full by the time he sold Carrie, his first published novel. I think of that. I do get a little bummed but then I pick myself up by the bootstrap and remember that every one is one step closer to the "yes" and the most successful people in the world are the ones that have had the most "no"(s) and kept going. I would like some responses. Mostly I hear nothing.

My partner is a screen play writer who has not sold anything but his follow-up is remarkable and as a result he has several production companies that will read anything he puts in front of them. The head of the Academy of Motion Pictures gets right back to him. While I have been selling tons of art he has sold nothing but he just keeps getting more and more confident. You think galleries are touch, try Hollywood! He has been making these phone calls for over 10 years and has a prestigious agent (the only way he can get read. His agent does very little by the way. If he had not done the pursuing he would be no where.) His attitude puts me to shame if I get discouraged."

Katherine Treffinger's link is on my sidebar.

No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...