Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday 19, 2010


The fly-catchers who made a nest and raised their young last year, returned to create a nest in the same place in the carport. They had three eggs, but the magpies came and stole one. A couple of days ago, the two young fledged. And all seems right with the world, at least right here on the mesa.

Yesterday I did get to the art supply store, and got new paint. I am always astonished at how much it costs! But I put the paint I needed, ....or wanted into the basket and I hope to work this morning.

There was a time in my life when I immigrated to the West, and I realized I traveled without a compass, no instructions, and no map. I had to find my way to a new life. And I realized the other day, that that is what we do as artists, every time we stand before our work. We certainly don't know how, we don't know where we are going. One wonders where we get the courage? But of course we know, soon we will be in dialog with the work, and we will receive instructions, and we will act. I can hear the little voice saying, "Paint for goodness sake!"

My life has been one of a hermit. The life of the artist involves sacrifice. Often when everyone else is out to play, the artist is alone "climbing the mountain, or bailing the water out of the basement." Trying again, to get it "right." I realize I've always traveled without a compass and no road map, just taking the temperature as I go.

No comments:

Not Just A Cup

  Not Just a Cup       Southern born Not a tea drinker Always coffee For me   Although I often find  Bitter taste Of the dark brew A bit muc...